Country stands behind Stokes over row with The Sun – ECB

first_imgENGLAND cricketer Ben Stokes has the support of “the whole sport and the country” after criticising The Sun over a story it ran about his family, a leading cricket chief says.Tom Harrison, chief executive of the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB), added he was “disgusted and appalled” by the newspaper’s actions.Stokes has called yesterday’s front-page story “utterly disgusting”.But The Sun has defended its journalism.It pointed out it had received the cooperation of a family member and said the events described were “a matter of public record” and “the subject of extensive front-page publicity in New Zealand at the time”.The story prompted a statement from Stokes, the England and Durham all-rounder. The 28-year-old said it was the “lowest form of journalism” which dealt with “deeply personal and traumatic events” that affected his New Zealand-based family more than 30 years ago.Stokes was born in New Zealand and moved to Cumbria with his family aged 12.He won the Cricket World Cup with England this summer then made an unlikely 135 not out in the third Ashes Test against Australia at Headingley last month to keep England in contention in the series.His comments on the story drew support from various figures in the sport and public life, and team-mates including England captain Joe Root.“We, like the wider sporting world, are disgusted and appalled at the actions taken in revealing the tragic events from Ben’s past,” Harrison said in the ECB’s statement.“We are saddened that an intrusion of this magnitude was deemed necessary in order to sell newspapers or secure clicks. Ben’s exploits at Lord’s and Headingley cemented his place in cricket history this summer – we are sure the whole sport, and the country, stand behind him in support.”Ben Stokes’ statement in fullToday the Sun has seen fit to publish extremely painful, sensitive and personal details concerning events in the private lives of my family, going back more than 31 years.It is hard to find words that adequately describe such low and despicable behaviour, disguised as journalism. I cannot conceive of anything more immoral, heartless or contemptuous to the feelings and circumstances of my family.For more than three decades, my family has worked hard to deal with the private trauma inevitably associated with these events and has taken great care to keep private what were deeply personal and traumatic events.On Saturday the Sun sent a ‘reporter’ to my parents’ home in New Zealand to question them, out of the blue, on this incredibly upsetting topic. If that wasn’t bad enough, the Sun thinks it is acceptable to sensationalise our personal tragedy for their front page.To use my name as an excuse to shatter the privacy and private lives of – in particular – my parents, is utterly disgusting. I am aware that my public profile brings with it consequences for me that I accept entirely.But I will not allow my public profile to be used as an excuse to invade the rights of my parents, my wife, my children or other family members. They are entitled to a private life of their own.The decision to publish these details has grave and lifelong consequences for my mum in particular.This is the lowest form of journalism, focussed only on chasing sales with absolutely no regard for the devastation caused to lives as a consequence. It is totally out of order.The article also contains serious inaccuracies which have compounded the damage caused. We need to take a serious look at how we allow our press to behave.WHAT DID THE SUN SAY?A spokesperson for the Sun said: “The Sun has the utmost sympathy for Ben Stokes and his mother but it is only right to point out the story was told with the cooperation of a family member who supplied details, provided photographs and posed for pictures.“The tragedy is also a matter of public record and was the subject of extensive front page publicity in New Zealand at the time.“The Sun has huge admiration for Ben Stokes and we were delighted to celebrate his sporting heroics this summer. He was contacted prior to publication and at no stage did he or his representatives ask us not to publish the story.” (BBC Sport)last_img read more

Joe Addo: Ghana must find a strategy to accommodate Kwadwo Asamoah

first_imgFormer Black Stars Captain Joe Addo believes the national team must fashion out a strategy to utilize the strengths of Inter Milan midfielder Kwadwo Asamoah.His call comes in the wake of Black Stars head coach Kwesi Appiah’s decision to leave the veteran out of Ghana’s Afcon 2021 double header against South Africa and also Sao Tome and Principe.Despite travelling with the Ghanaian contingent to Afcon 2019 in Egypt, it was reported that tension existed between Asamoah and Appiah over position and role suitability.This led to him being sparsely used in the opening stages of the tournament until he became a forgotten man as the competition progressed.His absence from the last two qualifiers have sparked reports that he might not return to the team with Appiah still at the helm of affairs.Addo, however, feels the situation must be handled with more nuance as Asamoah’s presence in the team will be of immense benefit to the youngsters being introduced.“He is one of our best players and he is not a bench warmer.“He is an everyday player both in the league and the Champions League.“So he is somebody we have to accommodate in our national team because his experience will help these young lads go very far in the national team,” he recommended while speaking on The Tracker on Citi TV.Asamoah on his part has made seven appearances for club side Inter Milan both as a midfielder and also as a left wing back.last_img read more

Floyd Mayweather I Got a Bugatti in Addition to

Not only did Floyd “Money” Mayweather earn the largest purse in boxing history with a guaranteed $41.5 million, he was also given a million dollar Bugatti just because.According to Darren Rovell of ESPN, The MGM Grand Hotel bought Mayweather a brand new Bugatti.The Bugatti is one of the most expensive luxury automobiles in the world, with the Veyron–the most popular model– with a price tag of $1, 400,000.It is unknown which model Mayweather received,  but knowing the flashy boxer, it won’t be kept a secret for long.This makes Mayweather one of the few people who can actually say “I woke up in a new Bugatti” and actually mean it. read more

Hong Kong property giant defies the odds

first_imgHong Kong property giant defies the odds2.9K viewsHong Kong property giant defies the odds2.9K views00:00 / 00:00- 00:00:0000:00Hong Kong property giant defies the odds2.9K viewsBusinessBack from the brink of having its reputation dragged through the mud, Hong Kong’s largest property developer still looks shiny to investors. Sun Hung Kai Properties owns quite a bit of Hong Kong’sVentuno Web Player 4.50Back from the brink of having its reputation dragged through the mud, Hong Kong’s largest property developer still looks shiny to investors. Sun Hung Kai Properties owns quite a bit of Hong Kong’slast_img read more

Jordanian Queen to visit Rohingya 23 Oct

first_imgJordanian Queen Rania Al AbdullahJordanian Queen Rania Al Abdullah will visit Cox’s Bazar on 23 October to see for herself the Rohingya situation on the ground.Queen Rania is scheduled to arrive in Dhaka on Monday morning, an official told UNB on Friday.In her capacity as a board member of the International Rescue Committee (IRC) and as an advocate of the work of UN humanitarian agencies, the Queen will visit Rohingyas.Her visit underscores the urgent need for a dramatic increase in humanitarian assistance for this vulnerable population, said an official on Friday.Rania will visit Kutupalong Refugee Camp and its surroundings in Cox’s Bazar, where she will meet women and children who have recently crossed the border from Myanmar and see some of the emergency services offered by the IRC, UNHCR, Unicef, and other humanitarian agencies on the ground, the official said.At the conclusion of the visit, she will make a press statement.Since late 25 August, around 6 lakh Rohingyas, consisting of women and children in the majority, have arrived in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh, marking the largest mass refugee movement in the region in decades and a major humanitarian emergency.In Bangladesh, the total number of Rohingyas is now estimated to have reached around 900,000 people, with more expected to arrive, according to international aid agencies.The sheer number of new arrivals has overwhelmed pre-existing service providers, leading to significant challenges in the provision of essential lifesaving services and highlighting the need for greater concerted urgent international response.last_img read more