ST JOHN’S, Antigua, (CMC): Left-hander Darren Bravo today became the third player to pull out of the troubled Twenty20 World Cup squad. Following the high profile withdrawals by Kieron Pollard and Sunil Narine last week, the West Indies Cricket Board announced that Bravo had also opted out of the squad in order to be available for Trinidad and Tobago Red Force in the Regional four-day championship. In a letter sent to the Board, Bravo said while he was “very grateful and humbled” to be selected, he preferred to focus on developing his game in the longest format. Selectors will now mull over yet another replacement after having to find alternatives for Pollard and Narine. All-rounder Carlos Brathwaite was named to replace Pollard while today, the board said that Barbados off-spinner Ashley Nurse had been chosen in Narine’s absence. Nurse has played four Twenty20s for West Indies and 60 overall.
Rose Bowl neighborhood activists filed suit Friday in Los Angeles Superior Court seeking to thwart Pasadena councilman Chris Holden’s effort to put an initiative on the ballot that would require the city to resume negotiations with the league. The suit asks that the court stop the initiative process because it violates several provisions of state law, including the naming of a private corporation in this case, the NFL in an initiative. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the WeekSan Antonio denial New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson said he hasn’t made any plans to move the NFL team to San Antonio. Benson’s statement came two days after New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said talk of moving the Saints in the wake of Hurricane Katrina was a shameful act of disrespect to fans who supported the franchise for nearly four decades. But Benson said he wanted to “make it clear that no decisions have been made regarding our future plans,” and added that none would be made until the 2005 season is over. “There are many factors that will affect the future location of our team,” Benson said. “That is also true of many other New Orleans-based companies that are faced with deciding their future homes.” Viking punishment Minnesota coach Mike Tice said he would consider reducing playing time as punishment for Vikings found to have acted inappropriately or criminally at an infamous boat party. “Ultimately, we’re seeking to ask the court that the city isn’t forced to spend money on an invalid measure,” said Fredric Woocher, an attorney representing Pasadena First, a political action committee formed mainly by Rose Bowl neighborhood residents. :-by Billy Witz Tice said he didn’t expect any punishments to be announced before Sunday’s game against Green Bay. Hennepin County sheriff’s office spokesman Sgt. Haans Vitek said there was nothing new to report. Injury update Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Hines Ward was upgraded to probable for Sunday’s AFC North game at Cincinnati after missing a game for the first time in his NFL career with a hamstring injury last weekend. Washington Redskins quarterback Mark Brunell sat out for much of practice with a strained left calf muscle, but remains listed as probable for this weekend’s game against the San Francisco 49ers. New York Jets receiver Justin McCareins strained his calf in practice and is questionable for Monday night’s game against the Atlanta Falcons. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!