Bravo pulls out of T20 squad

first_imgST JOHN’S, Antigua, (CMC): Left-hander Darren Bravo today became the third player to pull out of the troubled Twenty20 World Cup squad. Following the high profile withdrawals by Kieron Pollard and Sunil Narine last week, the West Indies Cricket Board announced that Bravo had also opted out of the squad in order to be available for Trinidad and Tobago Red Force in the Regional four-day championship. In a letter sent to the Board, Bravo said while he was “very grateful and humbled” to be selected, he preferred to focus on developing his game in the longest format. Selectors will now mull over yet another replacement after having to find alternatives for Pollard and Narine. All-rounder Carlos Brathwaite was named to replace Pollard while today, the board said that Barbados off-spinner Ashley Nurse had been chosen in Narine’s absence. Nurse has played four Twenty20s for West Indies and 60 overall.last_img read more

Magistrate warns Ukrainians about contacting her relatives

first_imgMagistrate Crystel Lambert who is sitting at the Bartica Magistrate’s Court on Friday again issued a warning against two Ukrainian security guards – Vitaly Paraschuck and Maksym Furtak – who were slapped with several assault charges back in August to desist from contacting her relatives.Paraschuck and Furtak were charged after they were filmed allegedly assaulting two Guyanese miners. The videos went viral on social media.In issuing the warning, Magistrate Lambert said persons acting on behalf of the two-accused contacted her relatives in relation to the matter.Based on reports, the Magistrate related that she would not tolerate such actions, and as such, told the attorney representing the men to ask their clients to refrain from doing same.The men were arrested and charged on August 14, 2018, after the Police sought legal advice from the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).Paraschuck, 38, was slapped with two counts of threatening behaviour and assault causing actual bodily harm committed on Guyanese miner Charles Clarke. Furtak, 33, was charged with threatening behaviour committed on Rudolph Deane.The men were also charged separately for contravention of the Private Security Services Act of 2009, for failing to wear their uniform.The Ukrainian nationals were remanded to prison and ordered to lodge their travel documents at Police Headquarters, Eve Leary, Georgetown.It has been reported that the assault on the two miners took place at the Quartzstone River in Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni).Upon receiving this report, one of the aggrieved miners was referred to the Georgetown Public Hospital, where he was examined and treated by a doctor. He was discharged, and would have led a team of Police ranks to the area, resulting in the two Ukrainian guards being arrested.Upon their arrest, the men were also informed that at the time of the incident, they were not attired in the uniform prescribed by their employer and approved by the Guyana Police Force.Following the incident, Natural Resources Minister Raphael Trotman has noted his concern with regards the content of the video.“I am concerned about foreigners having weapons; licensed weapons. I am told that precepts were issued. A precept is really a kind of permission given by the Police Force to persons to act as security guards and also to carry firearm licences. I am concerned about that, and the number of persons who may have them,” Trotman disclosed.Trotman explained the interior is known to be a “Wild West”, and so the number of guns present there would have a direct bearing on the levels of crime and violence in the area.“It also tells us that people expect or need a greater Police presence, and so I believe Government is looking at that. We recently launched the Corps of Wardens, and that Corps of Wardens will come alongside the Police Force, when necessary, to assist not just with law and order, but of course to ensure that the laws (such as) mining laws, forest laws, wildlife protection laws etcetera, are respected,” the Minister added.Also weighing in on the issue, the Guyana Trades Union Congress has called on the Government to send a strong message regarding its responsibility and commitment to respecting and defending the sovereignty of Guyana, its people and the Rule of Law.last_img read more